WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sign hanger in Precision Board sign

It has been a while since I showed how we fasten eye bolts into our hanging signs. Everyone knows that high density urethane does not hold eye bolts especially well. I've heard some sign makers drill out an oversized hole and then uses epoxy to fasten the eye bolts into the sign. This may be strong enough for them but I want to sleep soundly at night and not worry about a possible failure down the road. I figure there may be someone stupid enough to attempt a chin-up on one of my signs. And with my luck they just might be a real good lawyer who weighs in at four hundred pounds.

The solution is to glue some solid steel into the center of the signs we intend to hang. Since we finish the back of our signs it isn't a whole lot more work. I welded the eye bolts securely to a steel bar. then I laid it on the sign. Once things are all measured up and marked it is a simple matter of using a die grinder to hollow out a void in the back and front halves of the sign. Then it is a matter of spreading the one part Coastal Enterprises glue onto the sign, spritzing it with water and then clamping the two halves together until dry. The extra glue that pools in the grooves will expand and fill in the voids making things good and tight.




-dan