WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Monday, January 21, 2013

Building a train - Part five


It is great fun to design and build a project like the train. A few of the components can be sourced but the bulk of the train will have to be custom built. Today I placed the order for the bulk of the steel I'll use for the project. This will be cut to length and then welded together in their rightful place. For the boiler, steam domes and smoke stacks I needed some heavy duty and large pipes. The thing is I didn't need long lengths and so went shopping in the scrap bins of the local steel fabricators. It didn't take long to source the perfect sized pieces I required.


While I was in town shopping the MultiCam was busy carving the truck sides that would cradle the wheels and 'support' the train. They were whittled from two inch thick 30 lb Precision Board. The pieces that will be fastened on to provide all the detail will be routed tomorrow.




It won't be long until this thing looks like a train. Stay tuned...

-dan