WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dreaming for real this time!

As we think ahead to building our new house we are thinking of the wonderful and unique features we will create using EnRoute, Precision Board and our MultiCam. The new four axis router will allow even more creativity to be expressed. I can hardly wait!

I purchased our first multiCam more than five years ago with the new house in mind. The recession and many other factors have meant putting off the house in those years but the time to go ahead is rapidly approaching and planning is now at full speed. No aspect of the house will go untouched. Doors, trims, wainscoting,  the kitchen, beams, switch plates - virtually everything we can think of will get the treatment.

Back when we did my studio the router and it's capabilities came after the studio was finished. The projects we did with the new technology were merely add-ons. But we managed some pretty cool things. One of the projects was new blades for the ceiling fan. The router was the perfect tool, creating perfectly balanced blades. I did the design on paper first, then scanned it and overlaid the vectors. The file was created in EnRoute and then the blades were routed from 40 lb Precision Board. They balanced better than the originals which were much smaller.


When we did the MultiCam office last year I had so much more confidence and many more skills. Here the theme work with the MultiCam and software was no afterthought. Each element was planned in from the start. More importantly we were learning all the way through. The fan I designed this time was much more elegant and played a quiet support role for the rest of the theme work in the room.


Now as we plan the new house we are in uncharted territory. The ideas and designs are coming thick and fast, wild and wilder. No idea is too crazy to consider - at least briefly. In the end everything will fit together seamlessly and no area will go untouched. It will be the house of our dreams and you haven't seen anything yet!

Stay tuned...

-dan