I could see as the sign routed that this was going to look pretty special when it was assembled. The details looked great! I pulled the pieces off the router table this morning and dusted them off before I started gluing them up.
Gluing the pieces together only took minutes. I used PB Bond 240 from Coastal Enterprises which is a single component glue activated with a simple spritz of water. I used screws instead of clamps as the pieces were so irregular in shape. The screws will come out later and the holes filled as I begin the sculpting process. As I sculpt I'll diminish the thoroughbred look and add a little more of the nag feel we are after on this project.
I'll also add the woodgrain to the slat ends at that time. While I could have easily programed the woodgrain into the ends, the reality is that it is just as easy to do it by hand with a die grinder. From here on in it will be all about hand work.