WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Down to the details

The folks have now moved into the MutliCam Technical center. The dust has now largely been cleaned up and the horde of workers gone on to other jobs. And now that the furniture is all in place it's time to get down to details where they are needed.  One such project is for the Jurassic themed office. We'll be plasma cutting the heavy steel plates for the desk next week but in the meantime it's time to do some other projects for that room. The first is the fan for the ceiling. I had the client install a plain looking fan in the ceiling.  It won't be plain for long.  After sketching a whole bunch of ideas I decided the ceiling needed a splash of color... leaf green to be exact. I created a vector file of the veins and parts of a leaf, then created reliefs of the bits and combined them before adding a subtle bitmap texture.


I routed one blade as a test before committing to the other four. They are on the router now. For this project I used a piece of 1/2" thick 40 lb Precision Board. I've had similar fan blades spinning in my office for five years now. By tomorrow afternoon they will add the first of the theme to the Jurassic room. 


It's a jungle out there... or it will be soon.

-dan