WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Boardroom almost done

The board room is now finished save for the table's plexiglass insert. The plexiglass sits by my router and waits for the final dimensions of the electrical inserts that have proved hard to source. But I think we now have a handle on things.

The LED's under the valance have now been activated, the last of the ceiling tiles repainted (some for the third time) and all the little dings and misses touched up. The room is looking pretty special. I love to watch people see it for the first time. It's certainly not what they expect when they come through the doors!


My friend Shawn Cherewick of Protowerx Design Inc. and I spent Wednesday afternoon on our backs on the floor under the board room table. We were fastening the strips of LED lights to the bottom. Shawn had worked hard to program the three colors of lights to fade in and out in a random pattern, simulating the look of being under the sea. We tested it and it looked very cool. Once the plexiglass is routed and in place I will do up a video and post it here showing the cool effect. Thanks Shawn!


On Wednesday we had the bankers tour the building. I was working in the room. In my experience they tend to be a much harder sell when it comes to visual things, but they were blown away and all smiles as they looked around. They simply couldn't believe almost the entire room had been done with a CNC router. They had trouble believing it wasn't rusty steel and copper. The many pieces, done separately over the last months now fit together perfectly, each complimenting and working with the other. The branding is continuous through the entire facility, some subtle, some in your face. While potential buyers of CNC machines may go through different sales offices, this will be the one that sticks in their mind. The things that the software and CNC machines are capable of are evident at every turn.


I had an absolute blast seeing just how many ways I could insert the 'M' brand into absolutely everything. It's everywhere!  This gauge is on top of the white board pen holder. It glows with a red LED inside (turned off for this photo).


As promised, here's one of the gauges on the top of the TV. The 'M' is embossed into the gauge cover and the label on the gauge also sports the MultiCam logo. It makes me laugh every time I see it.


I finally got in the white board and routed it to shape. We installed two pieces - one on the back of the door, and one inside for plenty of drawing area. It will be easy to visually explain how all those 'complex' files are created in EnRoute, how things are tool pathed and how things work in general. The pens are handy of course -under the bright red LED.


By next week we should have the table sorted out, leaving only a few more projects to do on this job. I love it when a plan comes together!

-dan