It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Monday, August 8, 2011

Raising the bar and mirrors too

These past week it seems was the time for making mistakes, corrections and adjustments of all kinds of things. For a few days there, if something could go wrong it did. Sometimes it was me, other times things just changed and the work we had done simply needed to be altered or adjusted. It is the way things are done on occcasion - all in the interest of making the project better. Each time I would sit down with the client and contractor to decide how best to make it happen in such a way that the project would not be compromised, nor add to the price. Each time the customer would simply smile at me and state they knew I could do it - for that is why they hired me. According to them 'I was good and I knew how to do these kind of things.'
It's something I seem to face a lot. The better I get, the higher the expectations. Every project must be better than the last. The bar gets continually raised.
One of the adjustments needed was because the mirrors were simply too low in the bathrooms. It was OK for me but I am only average height. We had made the mirror frames a certain size to sneak the crowns under the overhead lights on the wall. We decided the solution was to leave the center mirrors as is, but make the two side ones three inches taller. The difficulty was two of the four frames were already done - complete with paint and the other two were routed and well into production. My client expressed her confidence I could fix things up - without a trace - for she had see me pull off similar magic previously. The challenge was on. I used every trick I could muster, staggering the cuts, and blending things as seamlessly as possible. I know my clients read this blog and I know nothing will get by unnoticed, so I'll even post a picture of the patch in progress, giving away where the cuts were made.

Monday morning the project will get the next inspection and we'll see if it passes.
I'm not worried though and in fact am far past this little job. I am on to the NEXT challenge... busy raising the bar once more.