WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Magic mud

Today was the first day of sculpting on the Fox & Hounds Pub project. We use a special home brewed mix of fiberglass reinforced concrete. I first troweled on a coat of mud - about 1" thick. This is allowed to set up until it is good and firm before sculpting.


Using a variety of tools each detail is painstakingly sculpted into the wet cement. I had to work quickly, at the same pace as the concrete was applied in order to get done. There is no coming back tomorrow for it will be hard as a rock by then.


The mud was applied thicker in places to allow various details to be worked in later.




From top to bottom we covered the two trees in just under eight hours. Tomorrow we'll be back on site starting in on the walls, carving faux brick and stone. Friday we'll be back in the shop working on some of the fun beer signs for the walls.


-dan