WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Small simple bits make for a larger and complex project.

The beauty of using EnRoute is that these seemingly complex pieces can be made relatively simply. I only built the file once and then resized it for the three applications. Gluing the pieces back to back gave me the pieces I needed for the pump toppers and the sign. Multiple pieces, as required for this project are as simple as creating a copy and then nesting the pieces to fit on the Precision Board.
On this project the routed pieces were relatively small, but by using the router to produce the most complex parts it saved me a bunch of time over all. Using the router also ensured conformity in multiples. Using EnRoute allowed me to make these pieces NOT appear to be machine made.
The gas pumps were fashioned the same way as the car. A 'pencil rod' frame was welded over a simple structural steel. This would allow for safe transport and installation in one piece.

Before we started in on the paint I took it for a test drive to make sure it felt right. Stay tuned for some paint shots and the final installation...
-dan