WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Friday, May 7, 2010

And exciting day in Yarrow...

We live in a small town. A very small town. The local population is only about 1100 people and that includes the surrounding farms. It doesn't take much to create excitement here.
Today was installation day for the sign we made for the Vedder Mountain Grille. The restaurant is in the very center of town. I didn't call ahead. I knew the owner was there for I had walked by when I had gone for the mail a short time before. I knew she would be wonderfully surprised to see her sign arrive too. I wouldn't be disappointed.
As I swung open our big 'magic' shop doors our neighbor took instant notice. He came running
to see what we were up to. It's always fun when we pull out our latest project. I pressed him into service to help me load the heavy sign onto the flat deck trailer. We have great neighbors I can always count on. We laid the sign down with the post towards the bottom. It was pretty stable. I never bothered tying it down... for we were only going a half block. I could go nice and slow.
I pulled up in front of the restaurant and there was instant excitement. Customers left their tables and pressed up against the window to get a closer look. THE NEW SIGN HAD ARRIVED! The owner came running outside and gave me a great big hug and did a happy dance out on the sidewalk. One regular customer whipped around back, grabbed his pickup and backed it onto the sidewalk. He flopped the old sign in the back and it was instantly gone! Another fellow who was walking by helped me tip the sign upright off the trailer, more customers who had rushed outside steadied it as we righted it. All the local merchants (there are only twelve in town) peeked out of their doors to see what was happening. This was BIG news! Locals driving by honked and gave their thumbs up. No doubt the new sign will be the talk of the town for the whole day and perhaps into the weekend too. It is a nice sign... complete with gold leaf.
Undoubtably something else that is exciting will happen soon in this little town and the sign will just become a fixture that no one takes much notice of. But today at least it's a pretty exciting thing. :)
-dan