As always I started with the vectors.
I first created a shallow domed relief.
I then added the texture of a log end (with splits) using one of my bitmap textures.
Then I created a flat relief using the lettering border. Note I also drew another circle vector around the original log end relief.
This new vector circle was used to modify the lettering border relief using the dome tool at the same angle as the original relief.
From the top it looked finished but I wasn't quite done.
We had to merge the lettering border with the base relief using the MERGE HIGHEST command.
This meant the file was now ready for tool pathing and sending off to the MultiCam.
Each time we do something different we have to think hard about the order of creating and merging the parts together to achieve the effects we want. This knowledge is best gained by experimenting and with each result checking to make sure it is what you want. If something unexpected happens go back and change something. Also take note for the technique you used to get the wrong result may be just what you need the next time.