WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Workshop name plates 2014 - Part six

For Richard's name plaque I wanted a dimensional waving checkered flag. There's lots of ways to accomplish something like this in EnRoute but this is the easiest I can think of. It used the distort tool. I started with a bitmap from the TEXTURE MAGIC COLLECTION.  I then drew a rectangular vector, carefully lining the corners of the rectangle with the squares of the bitmap.


I then used the vector to create a flat relief.


I then modified the relief by applying the bitmap. to the relief using the add to command. Black does nothing, the white raised by the value inputted.


I then selected the relief and opened the distort tool. I used the nodes to wave the flag.



Then I created a new flat relief using the letter outline vectors.


I went to the front view and nudged it into position vertically using the up/down keys as indicated by the line (see arrow)


Once everything checked out I merged highest with the base relief.


Lastly I modified the base relief by adding the letters using the dome tool.


Another name plaque was ready to tool path and send to the MultiCam.

-dan