WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Friday, January 14, 2011

Almost complete!

Back before Christmas we started this project. It's been coming along, slowed by the holidays some. Today Bec finished the bulk of the painting today with just a few details to go on the bees before we declare it done. I love how the cool colors of the letters pop against the warmer colors of the background. this sign should work well for our client. It's hard to see in this picture but it is double sided. it stands just a hair over eight feet tall in total. With all the various components, this project proved to be a little more difficult than I imagined it would be but we are very pleased with the result.


The 'wood' post is sculpting epoxy over a welded steel structure. The lettering and honeycomb were routed from 30 lb Precision board. The colored, translucent panels are vinyl covered Lexan. If you want to see the rest of the posts in this series just go to the archives on the right and click on 'Glass Hive Signs'.


-dan