WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Texturing the beams

Once glued is dry I use my die grinder to give the beams a quick once over. Where everyone else would break out their sander and spend hours trying to get everything perfectly smooth I'm going in the opposite direction... and adding texture. I get rid of the glue seams and any other imperfections at the same time. I spent about twenty minutes per beam to do the task.


In the next shot I still have to fill the screw holes and add a bead of caulking on the inside corners to round them out - just a little. 


Then I use Coastal Enterprises high build, water based primer to add one last layer of texture. To do this I use a one inch brush and random strokes, leaving globs of primer everywhere. Once we add the rust paint it will all make sense.



The cabinet guy let me know late Friday that the top is done for the boardroom table. Other pieces are stacked up around the shop and on the job site. It will only be a few more days until this whole thing starts to come together... 

I can hardly wait!

-dan