WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Da Plane boss - da plane!

Like just about everyone I know my wish list of projects far outstrips my time. But I do get to some of them on occasion. I built this little plane using EnRoute software about a year ago. Actually I built two of them. One went to a friend of mine from Texas who attended one of my Sign Magic Workshops. The other has graced a shelf in my studio. The intent was to feature the piece in a larger sign when I got a suitable idea and some time. A few days ago I finally got the inspiration and began the project.
I took my laptop computer into the house and in the commercials of our favorite show I built the vector file for the sign. It would feature a compass rose and would be for a fictitious business called 'DUSTY'S FLYING SERVICES - SINCE 1954' (I was born in '54) :) The file took a little head scratching but really wasn't that hard. As always I had to plan just how I would build the 3D file and how EnRoute would handle the reliefs as I created them.
I'll go through that process on the next installment...

-dan