WELCOME!


It is hard to believe that it was only seven years ago I witnessed a CNC router in action for the very first time. I was fascinated and simply had to have one! Although I had been in the creative end of the three dimensional sign business for most of my life I didn't really know what I would do with one - but I just knew it could do fantastic stuff.

Through extensive research I quickly found out that with the relative simplicity of EnRoute, CNC routers were capable of just about anything imaginable. This journal will chronicle that journey to date and continue each week with two or three entries as we continue to explore just what is possible with this wonderful software... -dan

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

All the tricks

Every once in a while we get a project that uses our whole bag of tricks. While not a massive project, our latest sign uses a wide variety of tools, methods and skills.
The sign is for a restaurant just a half block from our place. It's a new restaurant that serves great food! They hired another sign maker to make their signs and... to say it nicely, the signs they got from him would do until some permanent ones were designed and fabricated. These new signs would reflect the great food and service offered in side.
The name of the restaurant is 'Vedder Mountain Grille.' The new sign is to feature the very same mountain I admire out my studio window each day. We decided on a dimensional sign of course. They liked the idea of a scroll on the bottom and that worked out cool. They also asked for the sign to feature a motorcycle as the owner liked to bike on Vedder Mountain... hence the name. This element gave me some pause for it didn't really fit. I struggled with it until I tried it on the bracket instead of inside the sign. The owner loved the idea too.
The sign would be routed from multiple layers of Precision Board to maximize the usage of our in stock Precision Board HDU. The mountain would be hand carved and then a layer of epoxy would be sculpted to form the foreground trees and the fields in the front. The motorcycle and shwoosh would be plasma cut steel with the balance of the bracket being formed, welded steel. The painting would all be hand done and the sign would also feature some gold leaf as a finishing touch. All of it would be done in house.
This was going to be a fun project!
Stay tuned...
-dan