The first task was to commit the design to vectors.
I then opened the sandblasted redwood bitmap in PhotoShop and used the warp tool to bend it to the shape of the sign.
The spindles/handles of the ships wheel were created using the dome tool.
The rim of the wheel was next, once again using the dome tool but fairly flat.
The last step of the wheel was the flat center piece.
I then merged all the pieces of the wheel together. After the rest of the sign vectors were built I would adjust the height to make sure it wasn't higher than the sign board.
The sign board was the next piece to be created as flat relief.
The warped woodgrain bitmap was imported and applied to the flat board relief.
At this point I merged the wheel and the sign board onto a zero height flat relief. I then duplicated the relief and flipped the copy. This would be routed to form the back of the sign.
The front section of the sign then would get the lettering, starting with the letting outline. This outline was built as a separate relief. I next would position those reliefs over the woodgrain merge them with the sign board.
The main lettering was created using the bevel tool.
The smaller lettering was created using the dome tool.
With the last of the lettering in place I could then tool path the file and send it off to the MultiCam. As usual the pieces would be cut from 30 lb Precision Board. I set the machine in motion and went on to the other work.
Tomorrow morning it will be ready to glue up.